You Are Going To Die. That is a P.H.Fat
“They are currently saving our souls from the stagnation of the Saturday night main stage line-up. P.H.Fat throws down beats that break your face on the pavement outside your house at 3am in the morning.” (www.viceland.com)
You are going to die. The good news is, before you do you will be able to download the brand new, 6 track P.H.Fat EP of the same name for free.
Following the success last year of their debut album “Dinosaur Blood” on US label Muti Music, the band has decided to break the traditional mould of a record label financed release and have launch their 5 track EP for FREE and independently through their website www.phfat.co.za on 20 February 2012.
The three-piece electro-rap outfit, consisting of Smooth Mike (vocals), Disco Izrael (vocals) and Narch (beats and production), have recognised that in an increasingly competitive market artists cannot afford to follow traditional marketing models. This is why, even with offers from several record labels, P.H.Fat decided to go the independent route and, in a completely revolutionary move for the SA music industry, make the music available to their fans on a “Freemium” model. You download the tracks and then decide whether you want to pay for them or not. If you choose to, donate money to the band using one of three ways – EFT, Paypal or SMS (sending ‘PHFAT’ to 38549 will donate R10).
I feel that even making the token R10 donation is worth the artists’ time – do the right thing now!
The group believes that “the traditional music distribution model is a thing of the past and with it so is the album per year model.” Instead thereof, they propose a model whereby they release new content on a more regular basis, giving listeners a reason to check back regularly and maintaining top of mind awareness.
Be aware before downloading that the groups’ site was struggling to cope with the traffic yesterday – if you get time out errors, be patient and try again later.
Also worth noting for those at work or with young impressionables around is the fact that You Are Going To Die carries a strong NSFW warning as the lyrics contain some strong explicit language.
Having recently received a nomination for Best Dance Act at the upcoming 2012 MK Awards, the boys of P.H.Fat now require your support to bring the trophy home. Show them some love by casting your vote here.
P.H.Fat will introduce the new EP with an extensive tour in February/March 2012:
- 24 February – The Assembly, Cape Town (Official Album Launch)
- 25 February – Sowing the Seeds, Warthogs Game Farm, Magaliesburg
- 29 February – Puma Social Event, Cape Town
- 01 March – Arcade Empire, Pretoria
- 03 March – Town Hall, Johannesburg
- 08 March – Studio 1 MK
- 08March – Secret performance at Gin, Greenside, Joburg
- 09 March – The World of Windows at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, PE
- 10 March – Slip Stream Sports Bar, Grahamstown
- 11 March – RAMfest, Cape Town Ostrich Ranch
- 17 March – Alba Lounge, V&A Waterfront – Private Party
- 20 March – Town Hall, Griet Event
- 24 March – Swagger (previously called Medley), Table View
- 30 March – Klein Libertas, Stellenbosch
- 31 March – Cape Town Electronic Music Festival
- 06 April – Splashy Fen Music Festival, Drakensberg