Speedsters Could Have Licences Suspended
In a little publicised move last week, President Jacob Zuma signed into law a number of amendments to the National Road Traffic Act. One of these amendments, which is effective from this Saturday already, could lead to speeding motorists who break the speed limit by more than 30km/h having their licence suspended indefinitely – even those who pay an admission-of-guilt fine.
The changes President Jacob Zuma signed into law include the stipulation that a speedster’s licence will automatically be suspended if he is found guilty in court, and includes drivers “recorded” by speed camera exceeding the new speed limits.
The amendment states that a licence will be suspended if a motorist is convicted of driving faster than 30km/h over the speed limit in an urban area. Outside urban areas or on a freeway, drivers will be liable to having their licence suspended if they exceed the limit by more than 40km/h.
Once a motorist has been caught the matter is handed to the courts and the offender either admits guilt and pays a fine or contests the offence. The court decides if the driver’s licence will be suspended and for how long.
But experts say the new act will prompt motorists to avoid paying fines to prolong the court process. Prosecutor Christhenus van der Vijver, who specialises in road offences, said the amendments would flood already overburdened courts “with people who are going to contest their fines in fear of having their licence revoked”, he said.
So motorists: be warned, be wary and be safe!
Info Src: Arrive Alive