Obrigado: Mozambique meets Switzerland
Mozambique meets Switzerland? What? Let me explain…
Each year the 3rd Year graduating class of the Swiss Hotel School South Africa conceptualise, plan, set up and operate a fully functioning restaurant for a limited period of just one month.
The task is designed to give the students a final opportunity to experience the service industry first-hand, and to test their accumulated knowledge and experience, in a relatively controlled environment.
This year the student project restaurant is named Obrigado and will feature a menu born out of flavours and ingredients from Mozambican and Portuguese cuisine. Think fresh seafood, spicy chourico sausages, pregos and prawns and you are in the right place.
Meaning “Thank You” in Portuguese, Obrigado is a Mozambican concept restaurant grounded in Portugal, dusted with rich Mozambican spices and succulent flavours, and the sweet taste of Madeira.
Some Menu Items:
- Mozambique Steak – A 200g flame-grilled rump steak topped with a fried egg @ R60
- Camarao Grelhado – 1kg of Delicious grilled prawns @ R120
- Grilled Chicken – Mozambican peri-peri ½ chicken with chips and vegetables @ R65
Financially the main aim is for the students to at least cover their costs and maybe a little more to contribute towards a “staff reward” at the end of the month. As a result, menu prices are generally very reasonable and diners are encouraged to order a wide range of dishes at their tables to sample as much as possible.
Beverage prices are usually not as good as the food prices, but still nothing over the top expensive. (And when you consider that the exorbitant cost of the temporary liquor license that the students need to cover, the prices are even more reasonable.)
- Obrigado will operate for a limited period from Tuesday 11 September through to Sundayh 07 October 2012
- The restaurant will be open for
- Lunch: Tuesday – Friday (12h00 – 14h30)
- Dinner: Tuesday – Saturday (18h00 – 22h00)
- Sunday Buffet Lunch (12h00 – 15h00)
- Closed on Mondays
- Reservations are essential as space is very limited, and the restaurant does fill pretty quickly. Call 011 789 9934 to make reservations or Email firstname.lastname@example.org (and tell them Greg sent you!)
- The Swiss Hotel School campus is at 33 Bond Street, on the corner of Bond and Surrey in Ferndale. Click here for a map.
- Visit the SHS website for more information about the school, and the Obrigado Restaurant info page for more menu information and details.
- You will also find the Obrigado Marketing team active on Facebook and Twitter. Share widely now!
Oh, and obrigado for taking the time. See you there.