Nokia E71 and E66 Get Full Free Navigation-Ovi Maps Eventually
A good few months after the announcement of “Free Navigation On Your Nokia, Forever”, owners of the big selling E71 and E66 models are now able to download and use version 3.03 of the Nokia/Ovi Maps application. This is the version that allows full turn-by-turn voice guided navigation at no cost.
The Finnish Nokia support site saw an upload of the .sis application file, which was subsequently removed from the download options. This may be due to minor bugs in the application. However, the link to the file on the server is still active (at time of writing) and it works on my E71. (I can’t vouch for the E66 – anyone with one who does try to install and run the application is asked to report their experience below.)
The install process is pretty straightforward:
- Download the .sis file:
Direct From Nokia Support site – Right click on the link and “Save as…” OR
Download from 4Shared.com File Sharing site – Click on the “Download Now” button, wait 10 seconds, then click on “Click here to Download this file” link
- Connect your phone via PC Suite and run your Nokia PC Suite software (if it doesn’t auto-launch).
- Select the “Install Applications” option.
- Browse to the location of the .sis file you downloaded earlier and select it.
- Click the “Install” arrow to transfer the file to your phone (I installed to “Phone Memory” as opposed to “Memory Card” – not sure if this is relevant).
- Complete the installation on your phone directly when prompted.
- You have reached your destination!
Just for clarity – I installed the application over the existing version on my mobile. I did not uninstall anything. Also note that this version does not contain options to use the promised Weather, Michelin Guide and Lonely Planet Guides. This may purely a location-based issue (if anyone outside of South Africa runs the application, please confirm this for us), or it may another reason that the file was removed from the public download site.
If you do apply this application, please drop us a note below to tell us how it goes. Remember to mention the model you are using, where you are located, and any issues you discover.