Movember, Movember the Mo of Movember
The moustache. The stash. Lip tickler. Soup strainer. ‘stache. Lip spinach. Cookie duster. Muzzy. Upper lip plumage. Misplaced eyebrow. Dot and dash. Mouser. Tash. Face fungus.
Or just for the month of Movember – the Mo.
That hirsute symbol of manliness and virility has gone by many names, but for the next month (the one previously known as November) it shall be refereed to as the Mo.
Men all over the world are being encouraged to donate their face for 30 days to grow and nurture their 100% face grown Mos.
What exactly is Movember?
Movember (the month formerly known as November) is a moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for prostate cancer.
At the start of Movember guys register with a clean shaven face. The Movember participants, known as Mo Bros, have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their Mo, raising money along the way to benefit men’s health – specifically prostate and testicular cancer.
What can you do?
Well, if you’re a bloke you can register as a Mo Bro. And get to growing that lip tickler. (Check the rules for Mo Bros below). You can go it solo, or join a team to help share the joy of mo growing and combine your fund raising efforts.
Ladies (and those Boyish Men) can also get involved by acting as support for their Mo Bro and, while growing a Mo is left to the guys, Mo Sistas (a woman who loves a Mo and wants to support men’s health) do a lot of important work for Movember. They can get involved by:
- Registering online, recruiting a team and raising money
- Organising events i.e. Mo Parties
- Making a donation to a Mo Bro
- Supporting and showing love for the Mo
- Attending the Gala Partés
- Purchasing Movember Merchandise
Finally, and most importantly, give the Mo Bros large doses of Mo Recognition – a smile or nod of recognition for a Mo Bro’s moustache growing and fundraising efforts is always appreciated!
The Mo Bro Rules
- Once registered at Movember.com each Mo Bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean shaven face.
- For the entire month of Movember, each Mo Bro must grow and groom a moustache.
- There is to be no joining of the Mo to your side burns. (That’s considered a beard.)
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars to your chin. (That’s considered a goatee.)
- Each Mo Bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman.
Find out more
- Visit the South Africa section of the Official Global Movember site.
- Visit the official Movember FAQ guide for the answers to all your questions.
- Download/View a PDF of a number of classic Mo styles to help groom yours in the right way.
- Download/View a PDF of the Official Movember rules.
- Find out more about men’s health concerns, especially prostrate and testicular cancer.