iPhone 5: Everything you need to know about Apple’s new iPhone
Apple Inc. launched their new flagship iPhone 5 smartphone at a media event just a few moments ago.
Here are some of the key points we picked up from the Gizmodo and Engadget live blogs from the announcement:
The New iPhone 5:
- will officially be branded and marketed as the iPhone 5
- has a 4″ screen (larger than the existing 3.5″ model)
- will run the LTE data system
- is just 7.6 mm thick, 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the 4S.
- it has the same 326ppi retina display as the iPhone 4S but now has a 4-inch display
- the larger screen will accommodate five rows of icons, four shortcuts on the bottom
- has had all the software on the phone updated: Calendar shows more events, Email shows more email
- touch is totally integrated into the display, making it thinner and more glare-resistant
- the display has 44% more colour saturation than the iPhone 4S
- connectivity options now include HSPA+ and DC-HSPDA, and LTE (or 4G as it is know in some places)
- can automatically switch antenna connections, making sure you get the best signal at all times
- wi-fi connectivity is higher performing, with 802.11 a/b/g/n up to 150Mbps
- the A6 processor chip is 22% smaller, which saves room hopefully for a bigger battery
- improved battery life claims include 8 hours 3G talk time, 225 hours standby, 10 hours wi-fi browsing, and up to 8 hours of LTE browsing
- the Apple A6 processor chip is twice as fast as the A5 chip with both CPU processing and graphics
- the camera now has an 8MP sensor, 3264×2448 image size, backside illumination, hybrid ID filter, five-element lens, f/2.4 aperture, and is thinner than the iPhone 4S camera
- a new panorama picture feature allows up to 28mp panorama images
- video is also getting an upgrade: 1080p but with better stabilization and facial recognition
- the front facing cam is now 720p
- users can now also do FaceTime over cellular connections
- the earpiece is now noise cancelling on both sending and receiving ends
- the built-in speakers get an improvement as well
- there are now three microphones in the iPhone: at the bottom, in the front and one at the back as well
- there will be a black iPhone 5 and a white iPhone 5, with the rumoured two-tone look making a subtle appearance on the back of the new device
- US pricing: Price: 16Gb at $199, 32GB at $299, 64GB at $400
- The iPhone 5 will start shipping on September 21
- Apple will start taking pre-orders from September 14th in North America and most European countries, with another 20 major market countries to be added in a October
Other Nice to Notes
- Apple sold “more iPads than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC line.”
- Apple had 62% market share last year for tablets, this year so far it’s at 68%
- The new Apple operating system for mobile devices – iOS6 – includes a major upgrade to Siri (but still not clear if localisation services will work in South Africa)
- There are more than 200 new features in iOS 6, most of which were mentioned at the Apple WWDC in June
- iOS 6 will start to filter to international update servers from 19 September
- iOS 6 will be available to all iPhone models back to the iPhone 3GS
- We can expect a major upgrade to iTunes in October – iTunes 11
- A new look and size for the iPod Nano is on it’s way as well
- As is a totally revamped and upgraded iPod Touch device
- All the new devices will come with new EarPods that saw 3 years of development – bye bye fallout earbuds!
- EarPods will also be available for standalone purchase, and will be in Apple Stores almost immediately
If the previous iPhone release pattern is followed (and there is no obvious reason why it wouldn’t be) we can expect to see the new model iPhone 5 in South Africa around December of this year.
As before, it will most likely initially only be made available via contracts through Vodacom and MTN, with Cell C and 8ta following soon after. Expect to see pricing and deals announced soon enough.
We’ll keep you informed as we hear, read and see more information.
More info and technical details here: http://gizmodo.com/5942588/apple-iphone-5-everything-you-need-to-know