Doodle For Google Because You Love Football!
For the first time ever Google is expanding its’ Doodle For Google campaign outside of a single country by running a design a doodle competition to celebrate the upcoming 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup in South Africa and opening it up to participants from all over the world.
The Doodle For Google – I Love Football competition is open to young artists between the ages of 4 and 17 years of age from 20 countries different countries. The overall winning doodle will be displayed internationally on the Google homepage for a day on July 11th 2010 – the day of the 2010 SWC Final.
Entries from each country will judged by a local panel (including Jonathan Shapiro here in South Africa) to select 10 finalists. The entries with the top ten scores will be posted and the public will be asked to vote for their favourite doodle amongst the ten. The doodle with the greatest number of public votes will be named the National Winner.
The National Winner in each country will be put forward for global public vote and the doodle with the greatest number of public votes will be named the International Winner while the doodle with the second highest number of public votes will be named the International Runner-up.
Some tempting prizes (besides the humungous bragging rights of having your doodle being seen by all over the planet of course!):
- Each national winner will win a laptop as well as a framed copy of his/her doodle. The national winning doodle will be displayed on Google’s homepage for that country.
- The national winning doodles from each participating country will be displayed on the Doodle 4 Google – I Love Football international contest web site and will enter the international Doodle 4 Google – I Love Football contest.
- The global winning doodle will be displayed on the Google homepage in all participating countries for 24 hours on 11th July 2010.
- The global winner will win a holiday to South Africa offered by the South Africa Tourism Board. The trip is for 4 people including one adult, for nine nights, and includes international flights, domestic transportation and accommodation.
- The global runner–up will win 2 VIP tickets to a Premier League football match in the UK offered by Sports New Media, including international flights, domestic transportation and accommodation in the city where the match takes place.
Closing date for submissions (which need to mailed to the entry address using good old fashioned postal services!) is 03 May at 09h00 local time – your entry MUST be submitted by then, or will automatically be excluded from judging no matter how brilliant it is!
So get those art supplies out, download the Doodle for Google Participants Guidelines & Templates that also act as the entry form and parental consent forms, and get creative! Let’s see a South African doodle in place of pride come the 11th of July!