Adobe Launch CS5 with Tons of New Features
There are now five versions of Adobe Creative Suite 5: Design Premium, Design Standard, Web Premium, Production Premium, and Master Collection. For this reason it’s definitely worth your while to investigate the various application combinations before splashing the cash out. (And at the list prices, you definitely do not want to make a bad purchase decision with this!)
A quick look at some of the new features in the most popular applications:
New in Photoshop CS5:
- Content-Aware Fill: When you cut objects out, Photoshop can automatically fill resulting space with surrounding scenery or patterns.
- Puppet Warp: It may sound flippant, but enhanced puppet features enable subtle repositioning of photographed elements, particularly model poses.
- Advance Digital Image Handling: Camera Raw 6 minimises noise in high ISO images, while automatic lens correction quickly puts right lens aberration wrongs.
New in Illustrator CS5:
- Variable-width strokes: Illustrator strokes needn’t have uniform width thanks to this new feature. Vary stroke thickness with strategically placed width points.
- Arrowheads and dashes: This new functionality promises to simplify the often-fidgety task of aligning arrowheads and dashes, especially at corners.
- Drawing in perspective: A new tool enables illustration along 1-, 2- or 3-point perspective, for elaborate street scenes, visualisations and so on.
New in InDesign CS5:
- Layers panels: This enables you to set sublevels to objects in your layers. Lock, reorder or hide text frames, images or shapes on your pages.
- Multiple page sizes: Add gatefolds, inserts or similar to a document without the need for crafty workarounds. Now the feature is built-in.
- Flexible text: New Split Columns and Span Columns attributes enable quick ad hoc text tweaks that would otherwise take ages to get right.
New in Dreamweaver CS5:
- Simplified Site Set-up: There’s no longer a need to set up your test servers and the like before you even start a project. Start work right away and add servers as and when.
- Better CSS support: There are more CSS templates available, and better CSS visualisation tools, which include clear visualisation of features like padding, border and margin.
- Support for PHP-based content management systems: You can tweak and test live sites based on WordPress, Drupal, Joomla! or other PHP-based deployments from within Dreamweaver. YAY!!!
These features were sourced from the more detailed list at Computer Arts mag.
The various Creative Suites versions contain the following applications & elements:
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection includes:
Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, InDesign CS5, Acrobat 9 Pro, Flash Catalyst CS5, Flash Professional CS5, Flash Builder 4, Dreamweaver CS5, Fireworks CS5, Contribute CS5, Premiere Pro CS5, After Effects CS5, Soundbooth CS5, Encore CS5, OnLocation CS5, Bridge CS5, Device Central CS5, Dynamic Link
Priced @ R26,921*
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium combines:
Dreamweaver CS5, Flash Catalyst CS5, Flash Professional CS5, Flash Builder 4, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, Acrobat 9 Pro, Fireworks CS5, Contribute CS5, Bridge CS5, Device Central CS5
Priced @ R18,611*
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Standard combines:
All of the above EXCEPT Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
Priced @ R13,460*
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium combines:
Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, InDesign CS5, Flash Catalyst CS5, Flash Professional CS5, Dreamweaver CS5, Fireworks CS5, Acrobat 9 Pro, Bridge CS5, Device Central CS5
Priced @ R21,171*
Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium combines:
Premiere Pro CS5, OnLocation CS5. Encore CS5, After Effects CS5, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, Flash Catalyst CS5, Flash Professional CS5, Soundbooth CS5
Priced @ R17,581*
* All prices are taken from listed product prices at DigiCape.co.za for Full versions
In addition to the Creative Suite versions, you can still purchase the various applications in stand-alone flavour, and of course there are also upgrade possibilities from earlier versions of Creative Suite or the individual applications that you may have.
Adobe SA are running a number of CS5 launch events around the country over the next four weeks all before the ship date of the new versions, which remains “mid-May” at the moment. If you’re interested in attending one of these launches, visit the Adobe Go Create site for a list of dates and venues, and the opportunity to register online.